Information Current for 2016
Each year scout units go through the recharter process to ensure their scouts and leaders are properly registered. This enables our scout council to keep advancement records updated, leaders properly trained, and provide insurance for your unit’s exciting scouting program.
The annual recharter process can be intimidating, both for those going through it the first time as well as experienced scouters. Join us at the upcoming Recharter Training to get the ins-and-outs of this year’s scouting recharter process.
Our district’s recharter training will cover everything you know to ensure your unit is rechartered smoothly, on-time, and with no surprises We want to do everything we can to help your unit recharter successfully, and reduce the time and effort you put into completing this year’s registration. Join us TBA so we can give you the tricks and tips to making this year’s recharter a breeze.
What: Huguenot Trail Recharter Training
Where: Mt. Pisgah UMC
Who: Recharter Processor and alternate
Please ensure that your unit’s recharter coordinator will be able to attend our district’s recharter training, or will make arrangements to attend training in a neighboring district.
Recharter packets will be handed out at the district’s TBA during Round Table.Mt. Misgah United Methodist Church, 1100 Mt. Pisgah Dr, Midlothian. These packets contain all of the information you need to be able to complete your unit’s recharter quickly and submit it on time.
One of the most important items in your recharter packet is your Internet Recharter access code. This code is different for your unit each year, and enabled you to log in to the scouting Internet Recharter system to update your records and, when ready, submit your final roster electronically.
Please ensure your unit has a representative at the October Roundtable meeting to pick up your packet.
Update Roster, Get Signatures
The Internet Recharter system enables units to view the scout and adult leader information that currently exists in council records, update where necessary, and do an electronic submission. It is important to start this process as early as possible, since getting the updated information together can sometimes be a lengthy process.
- Ensure you have an account on my.scouting.org, if not, you will need to create one.
- Log-in to my.scouting.org
- Click the “Menu” button in the upper left corner and select “Legacy Web Tools”. Under “Legacy Web Tools” you will find “Internet Recharter”.
- If this is your first time accessing the Internet Recharter system this year, you will select that you are a “First Time User”. When you return in the following weeks, you will select that you are a “Returning User”. Since your unit’s recharter code changes each year, you are considered a “First Time User” when you first access the system in 2016.
- Enter the Access Code provided to you in your recharter packet. If you do not have this code, please contact the District Commissioner here.
- Select whether you are with a Troop, Pack, Crew or Team and enter the Unit Number.
- Click on the link to Load Council Unit Information, which will bring up the unit records currently on file with the Heart of Virginia. Print this roster but do not submit. At this point there are a number of steps you will need to take to prepare your recharter for submission. Likely this will require working with your unit leaders and scout parents, so plan time for this at your next unit function.
- Compare your roster to council’s roster and make a list of the names that are missing from council’s records and will be will be new to your scouting unit.
- Determine if the missing names are ones that applications have been turned in for, but are not showing on the roster. This means that they are paid up for the current year and you will need to pay for only 2016. Any new names to be added will need to pay a prorated fee for the rest of 2016 year as well as the full fee for 2017. Note: Any youth applications submitted to the council office during the month of October will need to be entered by the registrar before you can do a refresh of your data. Please do not stop processing waiting for this to happen! If you have applications to submit after October 31, please turn them in with your recharter. They will not be processed after October 31 if turned in separately from the Recharter.
- Once the online records have been fully updated, submit your recharter and print a copy to be signed. Signatures must be present from your (1) unit leader(Cubmaster/Scoutmaster/Crew Advisor) and (2) executive officer or Chartered Organization Representative. This signed document must be presented at your recharter turn-in event.
- Ensure all leaders on your roster have current Youth Protection (that will not expire between 1 November 2016 and 31 January, 2017) and position specific training.
6 October— Recharters available for Pick-up at RoundTable
1 October— On-line system is open
11 October— Recharter training and refresher course at Mt. Pisgah
8 November–Recharter training and refresher course at Mt. Pisgah
7,8,9 December— Recharters turned in at Council office by appointment
The following documents will assist you with preparing your documents for turning in:
- Recharter Checklist
- Recharter Price List
- Recharter Help
- “Journey to Excellence” for:
PLEASE DO NOT FORGET TO TURN IN YOUR “JOURNEY TO EXCELLENCE” FORM WITH YOUR RECHARTER.
Last Date to Submit Completed Paperwork
It is imperative that your completed paperwork be turned in before or on the recharter deadline, which for the 201& year is TBA. Please make an appointment with Senior District Executive Geoff Angle to turn in the paperwork on TBA December at the Council Office. Should your unit recharter not be turned in by the deadline, your unit will be locked out of purchasing advancement items in the Scout Shop until such time that your recharter is submitted. If you are worried about your recharter, please contact your Unit Commissioner or District Commissioner for help.